Saturday, March 24, 2012

Eugenics

I was relieved to find that for the most part, eugenics has died off, at least in the sense that we no longer try to rid the world of one race or f=group in particular. We still have a long way to go, and I hope that people will realize one day that to have a perfect race is not only unrealistic, but not ideal either. We all know that there is no such thing as perfect, so our efforts should be directed somewhere else in my opinion.

What caught my attention the most was the end of Washington's chapter about crack babies. Ever since I can remember, we have been taught the very opposite of her findings. It really makes you wonder what the education system is trying to do, if it as well is a racial institution. I know I have tried to have conversations with others about crimes and welfare, and almost every single person will believe these negative stereotypes that we have created about certain races. And people are very unwilling to face the truth, even when statisitcs back up that these stereotypes are false.

Erin Pattridge

No comments:

Post a Comment