Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Readings for Tuesday 3/20/12

For Tuesday, I was very intrigued by the reading we had to do.  I have been interested in the Tuskegee experiment since I learned about it from my mom.  She was working on case notes and I asked if I could look at them, she said no because of consent forms and confidentiality issues with her clients.  She then mentioned the Tuskegee experiment and ho her patients did not give consent for others (besides their social workers) to view these forms. 

When reading the chapter in Medical Apartheid, the reading was very eye opening.  I was surprised at how the doctors conducting the experiment thought that blacks were more likely to get Syphilis due to biological reason.  When I was reading this I was wondering what these reasons were.  Thinking back to my African American History class, I remembered that during the time of this experiment, eugenics was still going on and people thought that blacks were primitive and biologically different.  Now I could see why the doctor's could get this perspective, but I do not agree with it.

Finally, in my EDU 349 class we were having a class discussion on cultural awareness.  In the final minutes of class my teacher told us that there are about 30,000 genes in the human body.  SHe then asked us how many differentiate between races.  People responded with 1, 100, 1,000 etc.  The answer is none.  This shocked me and the class was speechless. 

Leslie Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment