Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Syphilis Experiment

Today for class we read two articles dealing with the Negro project and the Tuskegee Syphilis Project. It dealt with the issue of how in the past we thoought that this disease was based off of race and we desinged experiments where we studied syphilis in African Americans. One issue brought up in class that I thought was interesting was in the past if they were using this as a way to keep African American men away from white females because it was a time of interracial dating. I feel like this could be a reason why we continued to do this for so long. It was also said that they could have been doing this not only for science but to get rid of this popluation. I feel like in the past we feared that race so much that we would do anything to supress them and that this was another attempt to do this. Another thing that I agree with is that the reason we chose men was because they thought it would be cheaper that way because it is more visable. At the same time I also feel like this is a race issue because women are more likely to get a disease then a male. I do believe that they were doing this for science reasons but at the same time I think that they knew what they were doing was wrong because they hid it from any organization that might have an African American doctor. I also think that in the past they needed someone to blame all of these diseases on and we just always blame it on the minorities. I feel like this is still relevant today because we still try to blame things on a minority group. For example if someone is murdered people will automatically assume that it was done by someone of a minority race like African American's or Hispanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment