Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thoughts on Tuesdays discussion

I think it is safe to say that the Tuskegee Experiment focused on African American males because whites wanted to find some way to separate themselves from this race. I guess my question is what about other races and ethnicities? How come these scientists solely focused on African American males? It is obvious that the hierarchy is not just limited to African Americans and whites, so why weren't these scientist trying to separate whites from other races and ethnicities as well? In my opinion I believe this is because there is the most hostility between these two racial groups. The whites had treated African Americans horribly for hundreds of years, and these negative thoughts about African Americans were passed on to other generations. I read somewhere that in todays society, individuals who are in poor communities are more likely to be infected with sexually transmitted diseases due to lack of education and safety. The majority of people who are in poor communities are individuals of different races and ethnicities, so the rumor that African Americans are "dirty" is only perpetuated because many other individuals do not take other factors into consideration when they are looking at STD statistics. And in my opinion, this only continues the hierarchy that many whites still want.

No comments:

Post a Comment