Tuesday, April 3, 2012

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players- Shakespeare







All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players- Shakespeare

           After reading the Stryker essay today and some of the blog posts it really accord to me how much people are just merely acting a certain type of gender. What defines a women/man? I believe is a purely social status. We have conformed to what our society see us as. I had the opportunity to go to the Vagina Monologs this semester. It is so clear how much they relate to the topic of what constitutes a women or a man. Also I am an education major and I am proud to say that what defines a man and a woman are changing. Let me tell you of an example: Every classroom (early childhood) has a dramatic play area. In my classroom for one of my field experience the dramatic play is dress-up. In my classroom the dramatic play dress-up is not just reserved for girls. Some of the clothing for the children to pick fire fighters, construction workers, fish (and other animals), dresses and other assortment of clothing. The teachers in that school are teaching the children that it is OK for a boy to be more feminine and to wear a dress and it is OK for a girl to be masculine and where a fireman’s uniform. And it is perfectly OK to be a fish wearing a dress with a construction hat. It is ok to be whom or whatever you feel you need to be, because in the end we are all just faking it till we make it!

 -Sarah Fiorella

No comments:

Post a Comment