Saturday, April 7, 2012

Response to Pay-to-be-gay


I think the fact that an actor who is straight but plays a gay role receives more pay than a gay actor who plays a straight character obviously unfair.  There is always the exception the gray area with many discussions we have in class, this is no exception.  I think in general it can be seen as almost beneficial to the understanding of being gay to have straight actors play gay roles.  Yes they have no real experience to draw from usually, but that doesn’t mean an actor will not do their research.  This can create a waterfall effect of understanding.  The actor reaches out to someone in that community or some other outlet in order to develop an understanding of the role; they tell their friends about their experience, and so on and so forth.  But of course there is the question if they do the character justice?  Some might be offended if the character is portrayed in a very stereotypical gay type.  I think personally I do not have a problem with gay actors playing straight roles and vice versa.  The pay is obviously unfair and not right and I would be interested to see the research behind that.  Also I think it should just depend on the ability of the actor, just because an actor is gay, doesn’t mean someone can portray a gay character better than them even if they are straight.  Now I know that sounds kind of crazy but if you think about it, it makes sense.  I mean for example, Neil Patrick Harris is an out gay man but he plays most of the time the most believable straight, womanizer character in most of his roles.  I remember not believing he was gay years ago because he played his characters so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment