Saturday, April 7, 2012

Society vs uncertainty


The transgender community is extremely foreign to me and I have had very little legitimate knowledge of those who are transgender.  I found the article “An Introduction to Transgender terms and concepts” to be very useful when trying to begin to understand the transgender community.  I definitely have a more organized understanding of the generalities of transgenders but I know it is so much deeper than that.  I cannot begin to understand how hard it must be to feel trapped in the wrong body.  It is great that modern medicine has the ability to change sexes, no matter what the intentions were by doctors to be able to do this I think it is very beneficial. 

We saw the video in class featuring Christine Jorgensen and her much publicized change.  I think this was beneficial because it made people see more into the transgender community.  I don’t think those who are transgender should be put on spectacle.  However, I think if there were more who shared their stories in a public way that it would make the transgender community seem less “different”.  It sucks though that we live in a society that has a very difficult time with uncertainty.  You would think a country like the US would have low uncertainty avoidance, but it is very high when it comes to gender and sexuality.  Society does not like what it cannot understand.  This is society’s issue with transgender I think, society doesn’t like what it can’t label.  The US has very strict gender roles compared to other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment