Saturday, March 31, 2012

Disabilities

I think that today the term disability is an unclear term. In addition to the disabilities that we know, everything that strays from the norm could be considered a disability. I often think of a disability that someone has had for some time and will have for the rest of their life, I know that this is not correct but it is what comes to mind. My friend tore her ACL and had knee surgery. She was given a handicap pass because she could not walk long distances but refused to use it because she said other people needed those parking spots more that she did. She was still labeled as "disabled" because she was not normal. She has since then healed from the surgery and returned to normal and is no longer seen as disabled. I believe that something like surgery should not label you as disabled because it is undermining the extent of a disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment