Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life of a tortured kind

For my presentation I did some more research on disabled persons in our society.  I remember from my EDU 250 class, watching a documentary on the Willowbrook institution.  This documentary was very disturbing and myself and my classmates were all almost in tears over it.  At this institution, children were taken from their parents some who did not want to send them to Willowbrook, put to live in awful conditions and left to fend for themselves.   They would be naked and in a room were they could roll in there feces.  This is unsanitary and deplorable.  They stated that they could train these people.  Since when can you train a human?  Last time I checked, I haven't met a human that would wag their tail when you told them to sit down.

The treatment of disabled has changed rapidly from the time of Willowbrook to now, or so we thought.  In the Spring of April 2011, Laura Cummings, a mentally retarded 23 year old, was murdered by her mother and step brother.  Laura's everyday life was a struggle and she was tortured on a daily basis.  She would be shackled to a chair and had a sack put over her head to limit her breathing.  I remember vividly my mother coming home from work this day in tears because her client had to suffer such a long and painful death.  The shocking factor of this death is that many people knew of the treatment of Laura and they did not say anything to anyone.  This is disgusting to me.  If I knew about her treatment  would have called APS anonymously.  Sadly, very little justice has been done to punish those who were involved in this crime.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article36366.ece

Leslie Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment