Saturday, March 31, 2012

Willowbrook

When Leslie showed the video about the Willowbrook Institution and it really opened my eyes. How could someone treat another human like that? I understand that children with disabilities take more care. My cousin has Leukodystrophy, which is a disease that causes his brain to slowly stop responding, slowing his functions. He takes a lot of time and patience. I can see why parents would believe that sending their disabled child to an institution would be the best thing for them. They were unaware of the treatment they were receiving and did not know how to handle them. I am very sympathetic to those people who were in Willowbrook. I'm sure they would have been able to grow more as people if surrounded by family and loving care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment