Saturday, March 31, 2012

The willowbrook video and the question Leslie asked us about what we would have done in this time period given we were put into the situation with a family member with mental disabilities really made me start thinking about all those people who were put into the system and probably still remain there today.  I'm really interested in talking to my mom this upcoming break about one of my grandfathers' cousins, named Chester.  All I know about Chester is that he currently lives in some sort of an institution, like a home I believe for his mental disability.  I believe this disability has been a life-long one for Chester, I plan to find out more about his disability and how he ended up in institutionalized care and his story.  The willowbrook video made me absolutely sick and its hard to think that those things could have happened to someone within my family.  Hopefully Chesters' story isn't as traumatic as those at willowbrook, but I have a feeling given his age that he dealt with alot of hardships as many others did.

-Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment