Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shallow

Martin Pernick’s article discussed the promotion of a breed that was not only attractive but active. This is what I quoted from Pernick’s article in an earlier post, “Careful propaganda was needed to unconsciously favorably modify the individual taste . . . in mate-choosing. . . . If their ideals of human beauty are properly trained, young people will, unconsciously reject the ugly and will fill their homes with beautiful wives and handsome husbands”. This promotion of beauty and fitness in one package is still visible today.  I learned my lesson on dating through a deployment my first time, so when I came home last November, I came home alone. My friend has tried to hook me up with a couple of her friends, but I was not attracted to them. So a couple weeks ago she told me that, “I need to stop trying to date a hot girl and date a girl that’s average.” Well I guess I am average. She then pointed out that I need to tan, dress nicer, get bigger muscles and lose weight. As we were sitting on her porch, a young male ran by who had a six-pack. She said, “See, like that guy, he’s hot”.  Well I appreciated her honesty even if it was brutal. What I realized though, is besides some rare instances, this is how the world works—at least among young adults in the United States. Like my friend said, “Hot girls date hot guys”. How do you become “hot”, well it helps if you have the physique of a Greek god or goddess. I am not going to give the run-around; we all know who promotes fitness and beauty. Indeed, all of us fall victim to this promoter in some way or another. I am glad that my friend snapped me back into reality; she also reminded me that a “hot” girl is not really what I should strive for. And on an end note: My friend asked me on a scale 1-10 what I would give her. I said an eight. It made me feel better, and yet I was being generous. After all, I am only average which is a 7.5….she’ll get over it at the gym…and so will I.
Domalski, Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment