Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sterilization


After reading the Washington chapter I was beside myself. I couldn’t believe the amount of women who were sterilized without even knowing about it. Sterilizing women can lead to some pretty harsh side effects. A woman needs her organs to produce hormones that regulate her body. My question is why weren’t men sterilized or were they and were not just reported on? In the Washington book stated that many men felt that the pill or Norplant were genocide because it killed or prevented pregnancy.  I don’t know how much I agree with the men. However when I found out that most of the preventatives were given a way to African American women by organization that was mostly white men or women I started to get more skeptical. My opinions are still up in the air about preventatives against births and the motive behind it. I don’t believe that birth control is a form of genocide. I don’t even know if men should have a say in the birth control fight because once again it is not their body.  
-Sarah Fiorella 

No comments:

Post a Comment