Monday, April 9, 2012

Life

When reading the first part of the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, I was very confused on what I was reading.  From a literary standpoint, I do not like the layout of the book and how it jumps form the 50's to the 90's then to the 2000's.  It made it hard for me to follow and sometimes confused me. 

Part One of this novel really showed me how discrimination was really present everywhere in the United States.  Even hospitals treated blacks and whites differently when in this day in age, that would be completely unacceptable.  I don't know how Henrietta's tumor could be misdiagnosed.  I find that completely mind boggling.  Did they do this on purpose? 

When It comes to her cells, I was just shocked that people tried to put a price on cells that were changing the ways of modern medicine.  But the questions is can you put a price on it.  If you can't, how do you let others use them?  All of these questions stand in the grey area of medicine. 

Leslie Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment