Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Thickness














I have a friend (more of a Facebook friend) who was in our unit out of Erie, PA. She posts many pictures, anecdotes and quotes that challenge social norms. To society's standard she is overweight. One of the ways she deals with the pressure of being overweight is sharing media like the pictures above. It is evident that when running into her in person or reviewing her profile that she is very sensitive about her size. I'm glad that she is challenging the correlation between thinness and beauty. Many find her frequent posts annoying and call her insecure. I find them interesting, bold, and humorous. Like our guest speaker Megan, my friend is one of the few taking a stance against the harsh challenges--many unwarranted--overweight people face everyday. Until recently I have been the ideal size and weight. Now I am considered 10lbs overweight, but I still find myself attracted to females who are thin. My Facebook friend along with others has slowly started to change the way I view beauty. My sister said this about her husband, "When I first met Mike, I thought he was a fat slob, but after knowing and having experiences with him, I didn't even notice his weight". I still think my brother in law could lose some weight, but then again I'm not sleeping with him...anyways I think I made my point!
Domalski






No comments:

Post a Comment