Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sadness, Gladness and Despair


I am fifty pages from finishing the second part of the Henrietta Lacks book. I that for science to take a person and completely wipe away their life and identity is wrong. During the whole semester I have been struggling with the idea of what is in the best interests for the society. It is ok to hurt, kill, mane a few to spare the majority of society. This book makes me never want to get a vaccine, take medication and just stop going to the doctors all together. Not only the fact that scientist didn’t give that Lacks or Henrietta herself any support is horrible. I guess through the other readings in class this has happen to people but, the book shows a whole new perspective on the whole issue. I have finally seemed the whole picture. I have come to love Henrietta, how she was so sweet to her children, and always had red nail polished toes. I feel terrible and ashamed to even have benefited from her suffering. I wonder how many thousands, millions Henrietta’s there are in the world even today. The thing I am most floor by is no new paper bothered to even get her name right!
-Sarah Fiorella

No comments:

Post a Comment