Sunday, April 15, 2012

Henrietta Lacks

When I first began to read this book, I did not think that it would be anything like it is.  I originally imagined that this book would be more like a professional medical journal than the story of Henrietta's life like it is.  This book has truly captivated my attention, especially by giving all of the background knowledge on the "characters" lives.  Because I feel like I have an insight on who these people were, I feel like it helps with the ethical issues revolving around the book.  In addition, I think it is crucial to understand the time period that all of these events were taking place as well as the medical technology that was available at the time.  At this point in the book however I feel as if the family of Henrietta Lacks should at least receive free medical care due to the massive amounts of money the Hela cells have produced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment