Friday, April 20, 2012

Response to "Cake" Posts

I think this article that Jordan found is interesting, but I think Angela nailed it with what she said in her response. I agree that while this event was intended to create awareness about female circumcision, it has an inappropriateness about it as well. It seemed to me that the media saw this as a newsworthy story and photo opportunity, overshadowing the issue at hand, which was to bring attention to what happens to women in other parts of the world. As a public relations major, I have learned that if you are going to do something out of the ordinary (like this cake), you have to be careful about how the public is going to react, and have a plan ready if something goes wrong - it doesn't look like that was so in this case.

-Josh Steffen

No comments:

Post a Comment