Saturday, February 11, 2012

The film Freaks

After watching this film, I couldn't help but think of why it was made in the first place. Was it to portray those with disabilities as normal human beings or as monsters. Throughout the first half we saw a majority of the characters going about their lives doing normal everyday tasks. Some of those scenes included the bearded woman giving birth, the human torso lighting a cigarette, and the Siamese twins having relationships. I thought the scene of the human torso gave me the feeling of autonomy because he could have asked the clown to do it for him. In my opinion, this was the correct way to shoot to movie. However, from the celebration dinner to the stormy night gave me the sense of a scary movie. Even though they were viewed as pleasant before, it was all erased by the closing scene of the freaks crawling in the mud with knives. I can understand why this movie was highly criticized, especially because it was released on the decline of freak shows. Overall, I enjoyed the movie because it introduced me to things I have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment