Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hottentot-RIP


After reading about Saartjie Baartmen I don’t know if I was more saddened by her story or angrier about what happened to her. I was in shock by the way they treated her while she was alive but more appalled about how they treated her in death. Before reading the chapter in Medical Apartheid I never thought about what they would do to a “freak” after they died. Knowing now that B.T. Barnum and other entertainers would make money selling tickets to an autopsy is crazy (George Washington’s wet nurse). I guess it could be argued that  B.T.B. and others owned the “freaks” so they can do anything they want to them but, I guess after a person dies no matter you consider them an animal  that you own  or not they bodies should not be tampered with or put on show for other peoples amusement.
Another tidbit I found interesting was how people marveled and Saartjie Baartmen figure. How many people found her backside a feature that  was grossest and something to stare at. This is interesting because just the other day I was watching one of those Hollywood entrainment shows and there was a whole story about women  injecting themselves with chemicals to make their backsides look bigger to imitate the celebrates because they think it is sexy, beautiful and not Freakish . How Times Have Changed.
-Sarah Fiorella

No comments:

Post a Comment