Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Movie "Freaks"

So, this movie has been on my "to watch" list for a really long time. However, it wasn't what i expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie, but I was kind of hoping that we'd get to know some of the "freaks" a little bit more. I know they were real circus performers in the movie, but the storyline, I assume, was fairly fictional. I'm not sure if I liked this. I really wanted some of the people to talk more candidly about what it was like to be born the way they were and how they liked being in the circus.

That being said, I thought the story did a great job at humanizing the characters. There were times when I actually forgot that some of the characters were circus freaks. My favorite character was Frida. She was so beautiful! She dressed so well and had such poise and demanded respect just by the way she carried herself. I felt so awful for her when Hans fell in love with Cleopatra and left her. Although, the way Hans fell so hard for Cleo and was so torn for a while between she and Frida really made him seem like a man. He was so honest and willing to do anything to gain Cleo's affection. The group of people who were particularly small and had odd-shaped heads (microcephaly?) also stole my heart! They were so precious and innocent, like little children. I really liked how Madame Tetrallini traveled with them and took care of them like they were her own children, as she did with all of the disabled performers. I really got the sense that these people made their circus into a real family, as odd and dysfunctional as it could be sometimes. I think it shows how a strong sense of community and love and respect for each other can help them get through anything.


1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I find it interesting that you were expecting a film that was more along the lines of a documentary than a fictional narrative. I'm not sure whether what you were expecting actually exists--the first person stories of the freak performers represented--or how accessible it would be to us. I imagine you would have more luck finding these perspectives in print as opposed to on film. Perhaps this is something you could consider looking into as part of your scholar-activism project.

    ReplyDelete