Thursday, February 16, 2012

Disrespectful use of African Americans

In Chapters 4 and 5 of Medical Apartheid, it went into detail stories of how doctors and students becoming doctors treated deceased African Americans. I was completely blown away by some of the things that were discussed in this section. Some African American's bodies were not even used for medical reasons. Some doctors used individuals skeletons as pranks against their co-workers. To me, this is completely unacceptable. I know there was debate in class about weather Dr. Sims was a hero or a villain. However, in my eyes the doctors that misused these African American's bodies for purposes other than medical reasons are definitely villains. This makes me wonder how doctors treat deceased individuals today. I don't think that doctors are under constant surveillance to make sure they are treating these bodies appropriately. Who knows what doctors might be doing? It also makes me wonder how doctors treat animals today? Are animals who are undergoing tests treated under horrible conditions, and used for pranks? In my opinion, doctors should be watched a little more carefully, to make sure they are respecting the people/animals that they are testing. It is sad to think that doctors- who are viewed as heros and highly intelligent people- could stoop so low and do such horrible things. It makes you realize that anyone is capable of anything.

1 comment:

  1. "This makes me wonder how doctors treat deceased individuals today."

    Shawna,

    Some of your questions/concerns may be addressed by the Mary Roach reading for this upcoming week in which she discusses the treatment of cadavers by contemporary medical students and contrasts current and past practices.

    ReplyDelete