Saturday, February 18, 2012

Is Sims more of a villian or a hero?

I personally thinks Sims is more of a villian than a hero. He reminds me of people like Thomas Jefferson and Christopher Colombus. People who all contributed great things in this country but yet society is so willing to look past their faults and praise them for their good instead of evaluating the individual as whole. I feel like by only highlighting a person achievements and good deeds one gives the illusion that the bad deeds that was done is exusable or ok. That topic by itself is controversial in so many ways. So many people look up to figures like Sims, Jefferson and Colombus....I think that it is only fair for everyone to know all of who these individuals were. In Sims' case, I have no problem saying that his work allow medicine and science to be what it is today. I also, have no problem saying that he was a selfish and horrible human being that expoliate and torture African American women in the process. For some, Sims is a hero...for others he's a villian. I personally think that he is a villian .........African American women shouldn't of had to suffer to accomplish what Sims' was supposely trying to accomplish. Aand what bother me even more was that Sims' used justifications that was use to justify slavery to justify his work, which in the process kept those negative stereotypes associated with African American women in existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment