Saturday, April 28, 2012

Body modification

When I used to think of body modification, I always thought of tattoos and piercings. It never occurred to me that cosmetic surgery, bodybuilding (or working out in general), and even tanning can also be considered body modification. I find it interesting that a lot of people judge someone that they might see who has had plastic surgery or who has a lot of tattoos or piercings, but they themselves could also be modifying their body in an unnatural way. Our bodies are just that--OURS. Everyone has the right to do whatever they want to their own body regardless of what other people may think about it. I found Angela's activity in class on Thursday really eye-opening because it proves how quick we can be to judge someone based strictly on their appearance, and how wrong we can  often be. And as long as someone understands the risks that they may encounter when changing their body in a drastic way, I don't think anyone should tell them it's wrong if it will really make them happy.

Sarah Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment