Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Final Blog: Course Eval/Reflection

Although I thought the some of the readings were complex, I am happy that we were assigned them. Many of the articles have a very high fog factor or clarity index, which impedes effective communication, but it has allowed me to be a more effective reader. As the semester progressed, I found myself getting through the articles quicker and having to look up less-words. Although not a fan of Washington’s book—extremely biased, I thoroughly enjoyed skloot’s book. I even convinced my sister, who is in med school, to pick up the book.      Am a produced body? I don’t think so. According to Michel Foucault, I am a docile body. I admit that the Army has “broken me down” and “rearranged me”, but I do not think that I have become brainwashed. I entered the military knowing that I needed structure and direction. I still think the wars we are in are ridiculous, and unlike most soldiers who are conservative, I am one of the few liberals. A lot about being in the Army is either conforming or playing the game. But I get that the military as a whole is a form of “bio power”. For instance many soldiers—particularly active-duty soldiers—conform. They are an arm of the Pentagon; they represent the Department of Defense the way that the Department of Defense wants them to, both in deed and thought. Anyways my point is, is that I have always been aware of authority. I am also well aware of the norm or standard. What this class has allowed me to do is become more aware. I have a problem judging people. I was never quite popular in school, I have always been an outsider, an outcast, and have been called “weird” many times. So the very people that I loathed in high school, I absolutely cannot stand today. Ironically, I sometimes find myself conforming to the norm to be more accepted by these same people. As much as I hate the “biddies and bros”, I would love to have their “cool kid” persona. In the end though, I have tried to maintain my own identity, my own style, and my own tune that I dance to, and it has worked for me. But there are lots of people out there that are or feel like an outcast. And once in a while, I find myself judging these people, the part of me that wants to be a “bro”. This class has helped me to remember that individuality is a good trait to possess. Now when I see someone that is “weird” or “non-conformed” I try to think about something that I like about them; their shirt, shoes, hair, jewelry, eyes, glasses etc…instead of “why is that moron wearing that”. Eventually I would love to get to the point where I don’t judge at all, and have the fortitude to approach these people and tell them what I like about them. All in all, I know that one day I will achieve a high rank in the military, either as a commissioned officer or non-commissioned officer. I know that I will always face resistance; I do now, because I refuse to become an active member in the “good ole boy club”. My squad has more females than any other squad, and supposedly it is because I am the most sensitive; thus, the best one to lead females. And I don’t mind, they see through much of the bullshit that I do. What I do know though, that instead of conforming, and becoming “a sexist hard-ass”, I will attempt to be a leader that stands apart from the rest, simply because I will stand up for what is right and not what is “cool”…
Domalski

No comments:

Post a Comment