Friday, April 27, 2012

Final comments


This class should be considered for inclusion in the African American studies program.  The bias toward the poor African American victim has made this class, in my opinion, less informative than it could have been.  There are other victims of the establishment, perhaps their victimization has not been as well documented and therefore would be more difficult to introduce to the students, but this bias prevents a balanced view of how authority is used and applied to the less fortunate.  Other than this shortcoming the class was informative and interesting and provided an alternative view on the world as we know it.
Joyce Abbott

1 comment:

  1. Joyce,

    I really appreciate your feedback here. Perhaps when I teach the course again I should assign fewer readings from the Washington text in order to give more representation to other forms of "difference" aside from race? My thoughts were that 1) Washington's book is fantastic; and 2) if I make a class buy a book I want you to get your money's worth in terms of use.

    ReplyDelete