Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Church vs. Science on the topic of Homosexuality

I was scrolling through Tumblr when I saw this meme, and couldn't help but think this relates to class. Throughout this course we have been talking about medicine and science and how it limits deviant individuals. In my opinion, I believe some religions do the same thing. I don't want people to think that I am bashing any ones religion, because I am not trying to that. However, I do believe that some religions, and individuals, use their religion to limit people that are considered deviant. The Bible says being gay is a sin. The Bible also states that because Eve ate the forbidden fruit, women have to suffer the pains of menstruation and birthing. It just seems like science and religion (which are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum) still manage to relate to each other. And just like in medicine, there are some religious individuals that abuse their power to oppress certain other individuals. I'm not at all saying that religion is bad, or that people shouldn't follow it, but I do think that if you are going to follow a certain religion, you should not use it to limit others. This could be a complete stretch, and I am sure others are going to disagree with me. However, I couldn't help but think that there are some similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment