Friday, March 9, 2012

Homosexuality, Homophobia & Religion

On Tuesday, we talked about how acceptance of homosexuality has shifted over time (I like to think its gotten better, but there are still people who are against it). Catholicism was also mentioned. I was raised Roman Catholic, and their teachings say that homosexuals will go to hell. I struggled with this for a long time, wondering if this was true or not. Once I got older, I came to my own conclusion that God loves all of us regardless, and this would not happen (the Bible is open to interpretation). To this day, I consider my religious views to be Christian, and not attached to a particular "denomination." I do not think damnation of homosexuals is Christian at all. I also think we are born either heterosexual or homosexual, although some people have told me they think it is a chemical thing (whatever floats your boat).

A good movie to watch about homosexuality, homophobia, and religion is Prayers for Bobby based on a true story of the life and legacy of Bobby Griffith, a young gay man who killed himself due to his mother's and community's homophobia.


- Josh Steffen

No comments:

Post a Comment