Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Something I noticed in class

When I realized that we were finally getting to LGBT-related things in class, I was really excited. As most people know, it's something I'm very passionate about and plan on dedicating my life to. However, I know that it's a subject that tends to make some people uncomfortable, not necessarily always because they don't agree with alternative lifestyles, but because they aren't very knowledgeable about it and they're afraid of offending somebody. During Tuesday's class, I noticed that many people who often talk in class were hesitant to participate in the STEPS presentation activity. I also noticed that during class discussion, people were again hesitant to answer any questions. I'm not sure if this was because they didn't do the reading, they felt uncomfortable talking about the gay community, or they were trying to be careful as to not offend anyone, but there were definitely a lot less people participating than usual. This upsets me because I don't want people to be afraid to say something or ask questions. When it comes to the LGBT community and its allies, we welcome anyone who genuinely wants to learn about our history, our cause, and why we're fighting for everything we're fighting for. There will always be rude, ignorant people out there that will make snide comments or ask questions just to be malicious or nosy. However, we understand that some people are just curious, and that's ok. Don't be afraid to say something because you're worried about how you might sound. As long as you have good intentions, you will not offend anybody. We realize that most people are very naive about something that have become common knowledge for us, and we want to help you learn! I am speaking for the vast majority of people I know within the LGBT community when I say that we love talking to people about our culture and history and helping the effort to erase people's ignorance. So in class, speak up, ask questions, and don't be afraid of sounding silly or offensive. As long as your intentions are good, you'll get the answer you want.

Sarah Bradley

4 comments:

  1. I'm a slow reader, so sometimes I fall behind. Other times I just don't have many ideas to offer or other people are already addressing them. Before you mentioned it, I didn't notice those reluctant to say something, but I did see those eager to speak were those who normally contribute to the conversation anyways. I think our class has developed good sense of trust, but students who have not taken this type of class before may be accustomed to thinking in right and wrong answers instead of gray open-endedness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add to this discussion. I am generally an introverted person and a horrible orator. I have to think thoroughly and organize my thoughts before I speak. I can convey my thoughts much better on paper. In addition, it is hard to compete with the people that talk all the time. You must wait in line for the same 4-5 people everytime you want to add something. Also the same 4-5 people that talk form a subgroup and our oppinions may differ from that group, so some of us may not be-able to relate. I am not saying that I have a problem with the people that always talk, but understand the introvert is not an assertive person. In the end I agree with John, the extroverts in our class like to participate...great! they are comfortable. But us introverts are not accustomed to "gray open-endedness." I think it has little to do with lack of comfort with homosexuality. I think maybe this issue needs to be brought up to Jeff, that way maybe he can devise a method to allow the more reserved students to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with both of the comments. I like to have time to develop my thoughts. I am not afraid of saying something, I just like to make sure I know what I want to say first. Unless I have something I really want to say or what I have to say hasn't been brought up already, I don't want to fight to get a chance to speak. I think that it is wonderful that our class can discuss openly with each other and that we have numerous people who always have something to say. It would be nice however if others who don't always get a chance to talk can do so if the wish. Maybe if someone has a lot to say on a topic they should jot it down on their paper instead of dominating the discussion. That way they can summarize what they want to say without making it so no one else has the opportunity to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to post a quick comment here in response to everyone's concerns/observations. I have much to say, but will refrain from doing so at this moment because presenting my thoughts as a blog comment will do them an injustice. I think it would be best if we had a short discussion as a class about the issues that have been raised here. I just wanted to leave a comment to assure those who posted that I have read your thoughts and take them all very seriously.

    ReplyDelete