Friday, March 9, 2012

Cynthia Nixon and Bisexuality

Actress Cynthia Nixon explained in an interview for the New York Times that for her, being gay is strictly a choice.

"I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me,” Nixon stated. Many were uncomfortable with her statement that one’s sexual orientation can be chosen, so two days later, she clarified her statement in an interview with The Daily Beast:

"I don’t pull out the ‘bisexual’ word because nobody likes the bisexuals. Everybody likes to dump on the bisexuals. ...I just don’t like to pull out that word. But I do completely feel that when I was in relationships with men, I was in love and in lust with those men. And then I met Christine and I fell in love and lust with her. I am completely the same person and I was not walking around in some kind of fog. I just responded to the people in front of me the way I truly felt."

But even that explanation was not enough for a large portion of the LGBT community, who seemed to prefer that she just call herself “bisexual” already. A week after that interview, she made the following statement to The Advocate:

"[...] to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify: While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship."

Consider Cynthia Nixon’s statement, “nobody likes the bisexuals.” This statement makes one consider that perhaps she would identify as bisexual if stereotypes and prejudices did not surround the word “bisexual.” Often individuals are uncomfortable with the idea that bisexuality represents an orientation that could be categorized into either poles of sexual orientation depending on what sexual relationship or experience one considered. For example, Nixon could be considered heterosexual having been sexually involved with men, yet on the other hand, she could be classified as homosexual due to her sexual relationships with women. Our discomfort may stem from the fact that we are reliant and comfortable with duality and distinction. We would rather classify and categorize everything and everyone into neat, separate categories. We grow uncomfortable with ambiguity, when we are able to fit someone into a category easily. Given the negative implications of “bisexuality,” how much of a “choice” does one have in choosing a label to identify themselves with? People should be able to choose the words which they feel fit their experiences and identities, or even defy to label their relationships and experiences in contemporary terms. However, we should certainly be aware that certain words or labels are held at higher regards over others. It is important that we reveal the reality behind certain labels, and dismantle the negative connotations surrounding the label. Our first step in doing should be to allow for bisexual individuals to become more visible within our society.

Angela Barney

1 comment:

  1. What is even more interesting about Cynthia Nixon's statements is the backlash she receives for trying to define her sexuality outside of the "hetero, homo, bi" model that predominates western society at present. Is seems as though Nixon suggests there are other possibilities for sexuality than these three categories and in the successive quotations we see her struggling to define her sexuality in a way that will be coherent to readers/fans. This brings to mind the questions Katz poses about whether or not we need to define people on the basis of sexual desire.

    ReplyDelete