Saturday, February 25, 2012

Conjoined twins: One person or two?


When reading Wu’s article on the conjoined twins I was immediately interested in the relationship these people had with one another. In class we discussed whether conjoined twins were 1 “entity” or thing, or if they were 2 separate people. From an outside perspective it I guess depends on each individual person, I feel like it could easily be a confusion between the 2 where depending on the situation and moment the 2 choices might blur. Moreover then the outside view however I wonder how conjoined twins themselves viewed their relationship to one another. We talked about how after 3 years old it could be socially traumatizing for the two to be separated; I think in some sense this could conceivably be viewed as the conjoined twins being one being. However on the other hand it could easily be seen where on a regular basis you have 2 very different people with different likes and dislikes. In the end there is no definitive definition but if I had to choose I would most definitely consider them 2 different people.

John Plevel

No comments:

Post a Comment