Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crimes in Anatomy

One thing that bothered me while reading the article by Mary Roach on those who dug up bodies used for dissection in medical school was "how is this legal?" I would never have thought that stealing a candy bar would receive more of a punishment than taking one of your loved ones from the grave. Roach states "dissection was thought of, literally, as a punishment worse than death." If it was considered to be worse than death why wasn't it treated so with the law? It is unusual to consider an upstanding members of society to partake in such a disreputable affair.

One of the main discussion questions asked in class was whether you have accepted the fact that many dissected bodies have come about through an unethical manner and is it necessary despite the technology we have today. The truth is I dont agree but I can't think of another way to gain that experience. Is it fair that those most likely donated are those from the bottom of a hierarchical rank? -not really, that is how history has played out.

When I needed to perform CPR on a person who was at my beach, as a lifeguard it was my responsibility to do something. Better me than someone random in the crowd who would have no experience in it.

Brian Gallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment