Saturday, February 25, 2012

#twinproblems

In response to shawna's post about creating your own identity as a twin:

I agree that we should be accepting to anyone who is viewed as deviant including conjoined twins. They shouldn't feel the need to form their own identity just to have that "American dream."

As a fraternal twin, I consider myself lucky. Since I was born I have had a best friend by my side to go everywhere with. But along with that we were viewed as basically the same person. We knew that we were two separate people but to everyone else I feel as if we were one. I enjoyed being so similar but i think this caused us to instinctively find others things to be a part of. In elementary school we were placed in the same classroom, but they moved me to a different classroom because we would only talk to each other and none of the other students. As young kids we were on the same baseball and basketball teams. Once we hit high school I decided to run track and cross country to associate myself apart from him. I wanted to be independant and grow on my own away from him. Its really frustrating because I love him so much, to share those similarities, but at the same time I worked to be myself.

My point is, I don't think that society forces twins to become their own person. I believe its a personal choice that they go through at a certain point in life.

Brian Gallagher 

No comments:

Post a Comment