Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Make Me Normal"

I was thinking about what Angela and Jeff discussed in class today. Our society stresses separation, so it would seem like that is the only option conjoined twins have. This makes society more comfortable, so we don't have to "look" at the conjoined bodies. This made me reflect on my own life, and think about the surgeries I have had on my legs.

I was born with Cerebral Palsy, which is a birth injury caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. I was 3 1/2 months premature. Doctor's told my parents they could operate, and I might be able to walk (I crawled until I was 4). I've had muscle releases, femur (hip) rotation on my left side, and a tibia and fibula (ankle area) on my right. For the most part, my parents made the decision for me to have these operations, I chose to have the last one when I was 15.

I can identify with the conjoined twins, in that these surgeries were attempts to give me a more normal life. If they had not been done, then I would probably not be walking, or be in a wheelchair. I may not walk "normally," but it's as close as I can get to whatever normal is supposed to be, and consider myself lucky to go to college, drive a car, and live in an apartment on my own.

- Josh Steffen

1 comment:

  1. Josh,

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us in relation to the example of conjoined twins!

    ReplyDelete